EHSAN F. CHOWDHRY, ESQ.
Attorney at Law
Former Assistant Prosecutor in Ocean & Atlantic Counties
Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney
Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a Criminal Trial Advocate
Designated by the National Institute for Trial Advocacy as a Master Advocate
LLM Degree in Trial Advocacy
When it comes to your liberty, money, job and reputation, you cannot take any chances! You must find the most educated, experienced and aggressive criminal defense trial attorney you can find. People often make the mistake of sacrificing price for quality and enter into an attorney-client relationship without knowing the skill level of their lawyer. That is exactly why you should call me – I relentlessly and zealously advocate on your behalf. I can use all of the resources and talent I have to bring you the best possible result under the facts and law that are applicable to your case.
Let me explain. I started off my career with a judicial clerkship in the New Jersey Superior Court, Law Division, Criminal Part. This is an invaluable experience that helped me see a multitude of attorneys in court and observe what arguments the judges found persuasive in criminal matters. Throughout the course of that judicial clerkship, I got to work very closely with the judges to learn how the inner workings of the judicial branch function directly in the criminal law setting. This experience can help serve you when we have to make creative or precedent based arguments regarding your criminal matter.
To further take those skills and elevate them to the next level, I committed to public service for ten years with the Atlantic and Ocean County Prosecutor’s office. This is an extension of the executive branch of government. Working with and training law enforcement for that extensive time period helped me see the strategies and tools that are utilized in criminal investigations. I moved from being a clerk in the chambers of a judge to now appearing before those judges as an Assistant Prosecutor in court. These experiences crystalized for me a very distinct skill set in a practical setting. The substantive criminal law is second nature to me. From the very beginning of an arrest all the way through trial and sentence, I prosecuted thousands of cases that cover all aspects of criminal law in New Jersey. I learned what judges, police, defense attorneys and prosecutors look for in a search warrant, how to handle motions to suppress, arguing sentencings persuasively and prepare trials with precision.
However, for me, that was still not enough. While I was a newly minted Assistant Prosecutor, supplementing and attempting to achieve excellence in my craft, I earned my LLM degree in Trial Advocacy from Temple University’s James E. Beasley School of Law. I worked diligently while working full time and going to school full time. This academic experience combined focus groups, jury trial selection skills, expert witnesses and some of the greatest trial advocacy faculty from around the United States.
I am here for you and will always get back to you. Whether your case is being prosecuted by a Deputy Attorney General, an Assistant County Prosecutor or a Municipal Prosecutor, I am ready to go the distance if it is in your best interests.
Ehsan F. Chowdhry, ESQ., is an attorney licensed in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. He has court admissions for the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
He attended Rutgers College of Rutgers the State University of New Jersey and graduated from Monmouth University, earned his J.D. from Widener University School of Law while attaining Dean's List, served as a member of the Trial Advocacy Honor Society and as the President of the Minority Law Students Association (MLSA). He also was the recipient of the Most Promising Civil Litigator Award, The Center for Forensic Economic Studies Excellence in Litigation Award and a semi-finalist in the Hugh B. Pearce Trial Advocacy Competition. Thereafter, he earned his LL.M. (Master of Laws) degree in Trial Advocacy from nationally, top ranked Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law.
After graduating from law school, he commenced a state judicial clerkship with the Honorable Vincent J. Grasso, A.J.S.C. (retired) in the New Jersey Superior Court, Law Division, Criminal Part. Thereafter, he became sworn in as an Assistant Prosecutor in the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office in the Litigation Section of the Grand Jury Unit. From there he transferred to his most recent but former office where he served in the Megan’s Law Unit. He has also served in the Juvenile Investigations Unit, the Grand Jury Unit and the Trial Team. He has been fortunate to have done multiple trials, both bench and jury, with impeccability. Every single one of his cases that were appealed to the Appellate Division were ruled in the State’s favor, in part, to the complete trial record he created. He was temporarily sworn in as a Special Deputy Attorney General and completed class forty-eight (48) at the Top Gun School Investigating and Prosecuting Gang, Gun and Drug cases.
As a result of his trial experience, Ehsan has been certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney. Moreover, he is only 1 of 5 attorneys in the entire state of New Jersey who is nationally certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a Criminal Trial Advocate. He has also been designated by the National Institute for Trial Advocacy as a “Master Advocate” and "Advocate".
Ehsan's awards and honors include winning the Professional Lawyer of the Year Award for 2015 from the NJSBA in conjunction with a diversity bar and the NJ Commission on Professionalism in the Law, receiving the National Trial Lawyers 40 Under 40 Criminal Defense Award, receiving the Lawyers of Distinction Top 10% Award, becoming the first government attorney to win the Ten Leaders of Government Prosecutors Award and has been accepted for inclusion in the Global Directory of Who’s Who Top Lawyer for 2015.
He is active in his legal community and was active in his law enforcement community. He serves on the New Jersey Supreme Court’s Criminal Practice Committee. He is New Jersey Muslim Lawyer's Association President, serves as the Executive Law Student Liaison for the South Asian Bar Association of New Jersey (SABA-NJ) and a Board of Director for the Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey (APALA NJ). Ehsan is also a member of the Ocean County Bar Association (OCBA) serving on the Criminal Practice and Mock Trial Committee, along with membership in the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA), American Bar Association's (ABA) Criminal Justice Section, the Haydn Inn of Court and more recently the New Jersey Association for Justice (NJAJ). He previously served as the county liaison to the state for Fingerprinting and DNA, a certified instructor at the Ocean County Police Academy and was a co liaison for the New Jersey Human Trafficking Task Force.
Ehsan is an adjunct law professor at Rutgers Law School, and prior served as an adjunct faculty member for Widener University School of Law's Intensive Trial Advocacy Program (ITAP), as an adjunct professor for Ocean County College’s Business Law Department, a mock judge for Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law's LL.M. program, served as a mock judge for the American Mock Trial Association (AMTA) and the Vincent J. Apruzzese Mock Trial Competition. He also does CLE lectures for Esquire LLC in trial advocacy, a topic that is one of his passions.
A New Yorker by birth, he has been a resident of the Garden State for 33 years. In his free time, he loves playing basketball, chess, poker, pool, taekwondo, softball and tennis and loves stand- up comedy. Ehsan is well traveled and multilingual. He is married to his wife, an attorney as well and they have two children together.
BAR / COURT ADMISSIONS
- New Jersey, 2005
- Pennsylvania, 2006
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2009
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2007
- US District Court, Eastern District of PA, 2007
- US District Court, District of NJ, 2005
- Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney
- Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a Criminal Trial Advocate (Only 1 of 5 attorneys in New Jersey)
- Designated by the National Institute of Trial Advocacy as a Master Advocate & Advocate
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), in Trial Advocacy, Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law (May 2007)
- Juris Doctor (J.D.), Widener University School of Law (May 2005)
- Rutgers College of Rutgers the State University of NJ
- Assistant Ocean County Prosecutor (September 2007 – August 2016)
- Assistant Atlantic County Prosecutor (September 2006 - September 2007)
- Judicial Clerkship, Honorable Vincent J. Grasso, A.J.S.C. (Retired), NJ Superior Court, Law Division, Criminal Part (September 2005 – August 2006)
- Certified Legal Intern, Pennsylvania Civil Law Clinic (January 2005 – May 2005)
- Legal Research Assistant for Professor John L. Gedid, ESQ. (May 2004 – August 2004)
AWARDS / HONORS
- Professional Lawyer of the Year Award, New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law, 2015
- Ten Leaders Award for Government Prosecutors (First Awardee), 2015
- The National Trial Lawyers 40 Under 40 Award, Criminal Defense, 2017
- Lawyers of Distinction, Top 10%, 2017
- Global Directory of Who’s Who Top Lawyer, 2015
- Nominee, American Bar Association On the Rise, Top 40 Young Lawyers Award, 2016
- Nominee, American Bar Association, Norm Maleng Minister of Justice Award, 2016
- Dean’s List
- Trial Advocacy Honor Society
- Forensic Institute for Economics Award for Excellence in Litigation
- Most Promising Civil Litigator Award
- Semi Finalist in Hugh B. Pearce Trial Advocacy Competition
- Who’s Who Among American Law Students
AFFILIATIONS / LEADERSHIP / TEACHING
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, Member
- Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association (APALA NJ), Board of Director
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, (ACDL-NJ), Member
- Former Co Human Trafficking Liaison, Ocean County, NJ Human Trafficking Task Force
- Former Fingerprint Liaison, Ocean County
- Former President of Law School’s Minority Law Students Association (MLSA)
- Haydn Proctor Inn of Court, Member
- New Jersey Association for Justice, Member
- New Jersey Muslim Lawyers Association (NJMLA), President; Former Vice President; Former Board of Director
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Criminal Justice & Labor and Employment Section, Member
- New Jersey Supreme Court Criminal Practice Committee, Member
- Ocean County Bar Association, Criminal Practice Committee, Member
- Ocean County College, Former Adjunct Professor, Business Law Department
- Rutgers Law School, Camden, Adjunct Law Professor, Criminal Procedure
- South Asian Bar Association of New Jersey (SABA-NJ), Executive Law Student Liaison; Former Co Secretary
A defense attorney's job is to get your legal matter resolved with expediency. Ehsan's experience as a former Assistant Prosecutor allows him to anticipate law enforcement's strategy, thus helping you better navigate the judicial system in NJ. He will work relentlessly to bring your case to a successful conclusion.